Monday, January 18, 2010

Swiss Army Knife


I am always fascinated by this tool called Swiss Army Knife.

Swiss Army Knives are actually multifunction tools. Depending on the model, it can have a knife (but, of course), a file, a pair of scissors, a pair of pliers, a magnifying lens, a can and bottle opener, a philips and a flat head screw drivers, and other tools they can squeeze into it.

I used to have a Swiss Champ Knife. It has everything I need, and more. And to borrow McGyver's line (from a popular TV show), "Don't leave home without it." or something like that. You just never know when you'll need it, from opening a soda bottle to removing a radio's screws. It is all the tool you need.

I read somewhere that this tool was invented sometime in the 1800's and it is, up to now, a popular tool for soldiers anywhere in the world. If you would survive in a jungle, this is the tool you need.

But in the concrete jungle, there is a tool we really can't leave at home. Mobile phones has become integral part of our lives that we feel something lacking whenever we inadvertently leave our mobile phones at home. Personally, I feel helpless without it. Mobile phones are our Swiss Army Knives. This tool has evolved. Mine is a Samsung Omnia, it has everything I need. A phone, calendar, document viewer (it can view and edit excel, word, powerpoint apps), radio, still and video camera, and other downloadable applications. I can even watch movies in avi, and mp4 formats. Mobile phones are the most useful gadget ever invented (at least in my own opinion).

I got my Samsung Omnia a year ago. This phone runs on Windows mobile. It was being tagged as an iphone killer before its launch last year. We all know that the iphone wasn't killed. The iphone wasn't even bruised. The iphone is still the best phone in the market. The price of the iphone is the only reason why I opted for the Omnia. But then, I still like my Omnia. With the pace mobile phones are evolving, I might find my Omnia obsolete in two years time. Google just released its Nexus One phone running on Android. Too bad, it is not available in the part of the world I'm residing. But I'm definitely going to wait for its arrival. In the meantime, I'm going to research this phone. Maybe I could gather reviews for Nexus One and compile everything here. When this phone finally arrives, I would have an idea on whether to get it or not.

With all the features being put into a mobile phone, it has really become our Swiss Army Knife. Never leave home without it.
As Featured On EzineArticles

No comments:

Post a Comment